My first blog post

Hey everyone!  My name is Jeff and welcome to my Blog and my first Blog Post.

I enjoy listening to analog recordings. I like the LP format,  I also enjoy reel to reel or open reel tapes.  However,  I also listen to digital formats too!  I am not here to debate the pros and cons of digital versus analog.  I just simply prefer analog for the experience.  The analog experience is a bit more involved than the digital one.  For one thing, when was the last time you cleaned a CD?  Looked for scratches?  Cleaned the CD Player lens?  Seems strange to be asking those questions?
Well, when playing an analog format there is a ritualistic series of events that are taken to get the very best sound possible from that analog source.  Let's take a LP record.  First, it is housed in a sleeve within the outer sleeve.  The record must be removed very carefully to prevent adding scratches or fingerprints to the surface.  Then it must be placed onto the spindle on the turntable.  Ready to play yet?  Nope, not yet, or I may still not get the best sound from the recording! 
Once the LP on the turntable it is time to do a simple cleaning.  I use an anti-static carbon fiber brush to remove the dirt from the grooves.  Once I have finished, I take a look at the record, I look for finger prints, scuffs, stuck dirt or anything else that may interfere with the playback.   If I find any offending dirt, it is time for a deeper cleaning.  I use a record cleaning solution and a series of velvet brushes.  I use the Smart line of products to clean my records and have 4 velvet pads to progressively remove the moisture from within the grooves once I have cleaned the record. 
Is it ready to be played yet?  Probably, but is my turntable ready?  I use a stylus cleaner to remove dirt from the needle.  This dirt builds up with each play.  Are we ready yet?  Maybe, is the record Mono or Stereo?  Do I have the correct needle mounted?  Once all those questions are answered I am ready to go. 
A different, but similar process would be experienced using a reel to reel tape player.  I clean mine nearly each time I play them.  The decks need lubrication and cleaning to be in top working order.  The heads not only need to be cleaned, but every once in a while the heads on the tape deck need to be demagnetized. 
These "rituals" are probably why analog playback devices lost their general market appeal over time.  Too much fussing around for some people.  When you look at a digital format, either CD or computer delivered music you click a button perhaps on a remote control and it plays immediately.  If you don't like it you press or click to go to the next track.  With analog you have a couple options, lifting the record needle and carefully moving it to the next track, or with a tape player, you can fast forward the tape to the beginning of the next track; once you find it. In the case of the analog listener, quite a number of people actually play the entire tape or record in one sitting.  I think this adds to the relaxation factor when listening to music to hear the entire thing.  I find it too much of a hurry to listen to a song for 12 seconds and fast forward it if I do not love it.  Sometimes an artist is actually trying to say something in a deliberate fashion song after song on a "album".  I think people that just download one song or fast forward through digital media are missing out on the jewels hidden amongst the most popular songs of a collection. 

I will post on here once in a while with whatever I feel like discussing.  It may be a new record or tape; it may be just to rant or discuss something. 

Just keep listening!

Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denon DL-110 Phono Cartridge performance evaluation

McIntosh Preamp derailed?

OOPS!