Digital Music thoughts

I was just sitting here listening to my media library through my stereo.  I was thinking that the major benefit would appear to most people to be the sound overall.  I believe the benefit is portability along with the absence of skips and pops when listening.  I love analog, don't get me wrong, but if I am going to crank the system way up and listen loudly, I usually will either do CD or media from a computer source.  Has anyone out there experienced these fun and exciting things that can happen during loud record playback? 

The record skips from how loud you are playing and/or the vibration from the speakers made the turntable feed the vibration back through the system causing a rumbling noise when playing.  This makes very unpleasant noises come from your speakers....

The extremely loud pop or click from that speck or dust, or the occasional static discharge, or the repeated very loud clicks of a small scratch on your record while listening very loud can be quite disturbing.  This causes most people to rush over to turn down the system, or go running for the remote to turn down the volume.  Plus it can scare the hell out of you!

For the record, I have played my system so loudly, (before I added vibration dampening to my system) that a CD would skip while I was playing it.  Just as unpleasant as any analog anomaly you can experience!

However, if I am listening for pleasure at a reasonable volume level, I will try to find an LP or a reel-to-reel tape first.  I just enjoy the ritual, and the sound can be every bit as enjoyable as a digital source, if you have excellent media.

Just thinking.   Make it a great day!

Listen your stress away.

Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denon DL-110 Phono Cartridge performance evaluation

McIntosh Preamp derailed?

OOPS!